baslinux - Re: [BL] Direct dialup connection

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Direct dialup connection
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:07:42 -0500 (EST)

I am able to use Kermit with ramdisk BL2 and I am dialed into my bbs with
it right now (and telnetted to another computer from there since I cannot
get the mail list mail at my usual bbs email address due to timeouts).

I copied kermit to /tmp after loading bl2. If your computer has at least
8M RAM there is an additional 4M of ramdisk created and kermit is only 2M
so it fit easily. If you have only 4M RAM you are out of luck but minicom
is about 250K .tgz and you might be able to copy just the binary.

Kermit also telnets and ftps and does file transfers and fetches files
from the web and maybe other tricks as well. I use it to read Russian
online after loading a VGA screen font. Type 'reset' after exiting kermit
or less won't display anything at all.

kermit (you get a prompt)
then, to dial:
set line /dev/ttyS1 for com2
set speed 115200 for a modem at least 28K
dial 2345678 the phone number

C to connect; Ctl-\, C to get back to kermit.

Or instead of dialing, type ftp or telnet and the URL to go to.