baslinux - Re: [BL] Direct dialup connection

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Direct dialup connection
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 19:16:23 +1300

> I can't copy a two megabyte file from a floppy
> drive to my ramdrive because my floppy drive
> holds only up to 1.44 megabytes of data.

I suggest you use 'split' to get the file in small
enough chunks to fit on floppies. Then reassemble
them in your DOS HD partition (using copy with the
binary switch)

> I have heard that there is a way to format a floppy
> drive for linux so that it can hold a lot more data
> than just 1.44 M.

Not a lot more. Common formats are 1.68mb, 1.722mb
and 1.743mb (I think the BL2 ramdisk might even have
/dev entries for those formats). Use the superformat
command (/slakware/a5/floppy.tgz) to get those formats
(and others). However, expect more errors when you
increase the capacity (especially if you use those
floppies on different drives).

> I haven't yet learned how to copy stuff from my hard
> drive to my ramdrive.

Have you mounted your harddrive?

> I sure don't want to mess up my hard drive.

Indeed. Perhaps, if you want to experiment, try
mounting a floppy.
mount /dev/fd0 /mnt