baslinux - Re: Re: [BL] Direct dialup connection

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Re: [BL] Direct dialup connection
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 04:23:30 -0500

Last time Steven wrote:

> > I can't copy a two megabyte file from a floppy
> > drive to my ramdrive because my floppy drive
> > holds only up to 1.44 megabytes of data.
>
> I suggest you use 'split' to get the file in small
> enough chunks to fit on floppies. Then reassemble
> them in your DOS HD partition (using copy with the
> binary switch)

>From the instructions I've read here on on this list about
how that is done it seems to me that doing that would be a
real geeky and complicated procedure. Maybe it wouldn't be
as complicated after all to just copy stuff from my hard
drive to my ram drive, but, as I've said before, I don't know
how that is done either.

> > I have heard that there is a way to format a floppy
> > drive for linux so that it can hold a lot more data
> > than just 1.44 M.
>
> Not a lot more. Common formats are 1.68mb, 1.722mb
> and 1.743mb (I think the BL2 ramdisk might even have
> /dev entries for those formats). Use the superformat
> command (/slakware/a5/floppy.tgz) to get those formats
> (and others). However, expect more errors when you
> increase the capacity (especially if you use those
> floppies on different drives).
>
> > I haven't yet learned how to copy stuff from my hard
> > drive to my ramdrive.
>
> Have you mounted your harddrive?

I did that a few times back when I was doing BasicLinux 1.7.
To do that I used the instructions provided in the distribution
files. I was able to mount some hard drives but not others. On
the ones that would not mount I got an error message saying
something to the efect that the file system type isn't recognized.
I mounted the hard drives for the purpose of entering some changes
in the distribution files so as to customize them for my own
pppsetup and email setup.

> > I sure don't want to mess up my hard drive.
>
> Indeed. Perhaps, if you want to experiment, try
> mounting a floppy.
> mount /dev/fd0 /mnt

I do that every time I run BasicLinux. Then I copy my sig file and
my address-book from the floppy to "/root/mail".

Sam Heywood
-- Message handled by BasicLinux, v. 2.1
-- See "http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/";