baslinux - Re: [BL] ltools, DOSes and Linux

  • From: Day Brown <daybrown AT hypertech.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org, survpc AT softcon.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ltools, DOSes and Linux
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:07:34 -0800

I'm kinda conjuring up this mutant system, with a smaller dos drive, and
a larger ext2. The ext2 goes online, acts like a firewall for the dos
drive. And kinda wondering about a file management tool that would look
the same, and act the same, from either os.

I like the Linux idea of colorizing filenames.ext
I like managing files in the text mode screen, cause then I see just a
line or two for the toolbar, and the rest of the 50 for the filenames.
For some reason the guis tend only to let me see 15-25 titles, the rest
of the screen gets taken up by eye candy.

The books I have around tend to run 43 lines for novels, maybe 60 or so
for reference works. But either way, from the left edge of the text in
my visual field to the right, of a real paper publication, is a lot more
than the 80 of the standard text mode screen. But is there a text mode
file manager of either dos or linux, that can make good use of 100, 120,
or 160 character lines? Monitors are a lot bigger and sharper than when
they came out with the default linux/dos 25x80 text mode screen.

I kinda wonder about the fonts too. They were all designed for use on
paper, but the screen is an emitter of light. The letters use hollow
shapes like "abdegopq", which if filled in, might be much more obviously
not the open shapes like "cfhkmnsuvwxyz". It's a big deal with printing,
when the dark uses ink. But we dont have that problem.

And, if we had maximally readable fonts in the maximum size (cause in
text mode it's got 100% of the screen) then we could spend more time
leaned back, rather than hunched over squinting at the screen. If- what
you are trying to read, why wouldnt you want as much of the text, the
whole text, and nothing but the text- on the screen without having to
find the scroll bar.