baslinux - [BL] WORD 5.5 for DOS

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] WORD 5.5 for DOS
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 14:30:27 -0500 (EST)

I cannot find the email where someone said to put the printer files ending
in .pr$ in the directory where the setup program was looking for them, but
even after I did this the printer drivers did not install properly (no
.prd was created). Nor did it work to give it the correct path when asked
to do so. The program is looking for files of format epsonlq.*, it says.
I am giving up on this and letting our friend use WORKS for DOS to type
and print letters. (She pays us for our help in cookies of the
non-software variety).

I also just downloaded WORDVIEW to view WORD files that don't work with
Antiword, which tends to leave out little pieces of the more complicated
ones, such as two paragraphs in grey that somehow added 1M to a file that
was only 200K without them (and 10K as text). Unfortunately it requires
Windows, though they do have a version (half the size - 2M instead of 4M
download) for Win31. I get tired of waiting for Windows to load.

Will Abiword view (and edit) Word 2000? Wordview does not do 2002,
Antiword (sort of) does.