baslinux - Re: [BL] BL 1.8 download

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL 1.8 download
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 10:03:12 +1300

James Miller wrote:

> Looks like I'll need to update the link at
> my add-ons page as well, correct?

Probably not. The problem was the internal link from
the BL1 homepage to the download. As long as your
link is to the homepage (which is now OK) or directly
to baslin18.zip, there should be no problem.

> Btw, does BL1 have a new maintainer now?

No. However, I am sometimes tempted to drop BL2 and
in the BL1 ramdisk -- I really liked the way it all
fit together. The 2.0 kernel and libc5 are so much
cleaner.

Now that we have a version of AbiWord that works on
BL1, it would be nice to go back to BL1 and do a word-
processing package (with preconfigured lpd and gs).

Naturally, I would update the kernel to the latest 2.0
version and perhaps update to the latest libc5 library
too.

The biggest change with the new BL1 would be the HD
installation routine. It would be similar to the
installation routine on BL2. But, instead of putting
BasicLinux on HD, it would install a minimal version
of Slackware 7.1 (or 8.1 or whatever) from CDrom or
downloaded packages.

However, this is just idle speculation. I don't
really see it happening. Although, who knows.