baslinux - Re: [BL] Basic Linux as dialup terminal

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Basic Linux as dialup terminal
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 08:05:28 +1300

Neil Parks wrote:

> I would like to use Basic Linux as a terminal to dial
> in by modem to another Linux.

Which approach did you have in mind? Using pppd to establish
a network and then telnet? Or straight in with minicom?

> The computers I would use this on are running either ME
> or XP, so I seem to be stuck with the ramdisk/floppy disk
> installation of BL.

If you have an old HD (80mb is fine), you might be able to
add it to the system quite easily. I've seen instructions
for rejigging the Windows boot manager to provide a Linux
option.

Another possibility is burning a CDrom. I think there is
a routine around for booting from CDrom even on old PCs
that don't normally do it.

> I don't know how practical it would be to add packages
> to that.

It depends on how big they are. There is quite a bit of
spare room on the BL2 floppies. Open up baslinux.gz and
add the stuff you want. Rezip it and run the make_fd
utility. It will put the new baslinux.gz on the floppies.