baslinux - [BL] Re: Install to HD, etc

  • From: "Sheldon Isaac" <sisaac AT netaxs.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: bill AT dudley.nu, david.johnson AT lehigh.edu
  • Subject: [BL] Re: Install to HD, etc
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 18:42:52 -0400

> > > (1) installing BL2 to HD
> >
> > I haven't yet found out how to do that.
>
> Type the following (inside BL2) and press ENTER:
> -------
> install
> -------

Many thanks, Steven - it works fine!

My friend David advised me regarding partitions for swapfiles and other
important things. I'm going to take a break before trying to figure out how
to make additional partitions while still saving what's on the existing
one.

At present, my new $55 computer has one bootable DOS/Win partition of about
583Mb, and one native Linux partition (DOS's fdisk says it's a non-DOS
partition) of about 2654Mb, with a gazillion files on it that I mostly
don't understand yet.
(I suppose I could use cfdisk to make the Linux partition bootable, and
the DOS one not?)

>> But none of the alias commands seem to be done, because when I say
>> plain alias , none of the new things show up.

> When you execute a script, it runs in a subshell (inside a separate
> environment). Any environmental changes (eg. alias) affect that
> sub-environment only. When your script is finished, the subshell
> terminates and the environmental changes disappear. However, doing
> them one by one from the command prompt works. Commands entered from
> the command line operate on the current environment. To get a script
> to operate on your current environment, put a dot in front of the
> script when you execute it:
>
> . script-name

Aha!
That's like the . .bashrc that I've done on my ISP's system.

Thanks again,

Sheldon Isaac
215-842-0863