baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Install to HD, etc

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Install to HD, etc
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 07:20:06 +1200

Sheldon Isaac wrote:

> > (1) installing BL2 to HD
>
> I haven't yet found out how to do that.

Type the following (inside BL2) and press ENTER:
-------
install
-------

> But none of the alias commands seem to be done, because
> when I say plain alias , none of the new things show up.

When you execute a script, it runs in a subshell (inside a
separate environment). Any environmental changes (eg. alias)
affect that sub-environment only. When your script is finished,
the subshell terminates and the environmental changes disappear.

> However, doing them one by one from the command prompt works.

Commands entered from the command line operate on the current
environment. To get a script to operate on your current
environment, put a dot in front of the script when you execute
it:
. script-name