baslinux - Re: [BL] sis900 network card

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] sis900 network card
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 18:14:19 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003, Andy Davice wrote:

> I'm trying to get basic linux online via my sis900
> ethernet card connected to a cable modem. I've
> already got it installed on my hard drive, but
> getting online is proving tricky...
>
> I've downloaded sis900.o from the slackware7.1
> modules directory, and read the text file. It
> mentioned an i/o address of 0xd000.
>
> I copied sis900.o into my root directory & tried:
>
> insmod sis900
>
> (also tried it with insmod 8390 first, and insmod
> sis900 io=0xd000)
>
> result: "no module by that name found"
>
> Have I done something daft?

Sorta. I think insmod expects modules to be in a specific location: in
BL, it expects them to be in /lib/modules/2.2.16/net (for networking
modules, that is). Your options are: 1) install the full package of Slack
7.1 modules using installpkg, which will create all the necessary dirs and
subdirs for you and put the modules right where they belong and where
insmod can find them; 2) manually create the dirs and subdirs and place
your module in the appropriate one and insmod should find it; 3) specify
the full path to the module to insmod if you've located the module in a
non-standard location, i.e.,
insmod /root/sis900
in your case. Hope this helps.

James