baslinux - Re: [BL] plip link for remote xsession?

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] plip link for remote xsession?
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:10:57 -0500 (CDT)

Looks like I had some settings wrong on the desktop and it was actually
pinging itself, not the laptop :(. Now, with the correct settings,
neither machine can ping the other. Sounds like maybe the parallel port
problem Steven was alluding to. Parallel port settings for the laptop are
pretty much non-existent, except for I/O address, as I mentioned earlier.
The desktop, on the other hand, has several parallel port settings in its
BIOS: I/O / IRQ; Mode (EPP, ECP, EPP+ECP and Normal); DMA channel (3 or
1); and EPP type (1.9 or 1.7). From what little sense I can make out of
all this, the settings are ok: I/O / IRQ looks fine (0x378, 7); Mode is
"normal" ("supports EPP or ECP"); DMA is 3 (default); and EPP type is 1.9
(default). Sorry to bore you all with this, but if anything looks
terribly wrong to anyone esle with these settings, please let me know.
I'm still inclined to believe that one or the other of the 2 parallel
ports (probably the laptop one) is not capable of acting as a
communications port. A cheap 10 baseT pcmcia card may still be the
simplest way to get some more use out of this notebook.

James