baslinux - Re: [BL] Running jmce

  • From: Day Brown <daybrown AT hypertech.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Running jmce
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 18:20:23 +0000

qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Neo Sze Wee wrote:
> >
> > First of all, this is run under a kernel with
> > frame buffer support.
> >
> > </root:517># /mnt/tmp/jmce016-glibc2/usr/local/bin/jmce/jmce
> > Memory fault
> >
> > I wonder if it is possible to stop loading the input
> > definitions. Then maybe I will have more memory to
> > play with.
>
> IIRC you have only 4mb RAM. That is tight, very very tight.
> With 4mb RAM it is possible to use a slim kernel (like BL2)
> and run some non-demanding applications, but you are trying
> to do too much with 4mb RAM. I urge you add some RAM to that
> computer -- IIRC your computer is a desktop, so adding RAM
> should not be difficult. RAM modules for 486 motherboards
> are throw-away items -- you should be able to get them for
> very little cost. If you lived near me, I would give you
> some for free.

Ah, well, one of the tradeoffs of country life. Have you seen 4meg 30
pin dram offered for sale online? I have several 486 (many with VLB)
boards, and am also looking for some socket 4, 5vdc CPUs to upgrade
with.

I'm hoping to assemble something that can surf with Mozilla. Arachne
dont cut it anymore, too much JAVA & flash crap results in errors &
crashes. Functionally, a dos text mode destkop is gonzo easier to deal
with than the terminal mode of a multi-user multi-tasking os. I dont
need 'permissions' and it dont ask me to logon with a password.

But if then BASICLINUX can fire up a GUI browser, that's all I need. I'm
not trying to run a network.