baslinux - Re: [BL] BL 1.8 and pcmcia-netcard

  • From: ODWerner AT t-online.de (Otto Werner)
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL 1.8 and pcmcia-netcard
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 18:53:20 +0200

> > 2. If I try to connect directly via modem . here I am total on a loss:
> > which connection is BT 1.8 able to use : isdn or analog ? How can one of
> > them be used, how can I make it working ?
>
> I don't understand this question. Are you talking about the DSL modem on
> your gateway? I'm not sure I could help, even if that is what you're
> talking about. I've never had any problem with any version of BL using a
> regular, 56k or < modem - so long as it was not a Winmodem. If you're
> talking about a DSL modem on your gateway, let me ask if you've looked
> into Freesco? This is a gateway/router mini-distribution based on old
> Slackware that has alot of this stuff preconfigured (does pppoe, for
> example). I'm planning on doing something similar to what you're doing
> (DSL connection routed to a small network via an older
> computer-made-router/gateway) and I'm going to try Freesco. It also does
> firewalling and NAT'ing which, without more networking knowledge than I
> have, would be difficult to implement on a BL1/2 system.
>
> James
At home I want to connect via router and dsl,using a pcmcia-nic,going abroad
maybe Newzealand in Oktober and a lot of other places I want to take the
laptop with me for mail using telephonlines and a modem. There are two
systems for connecting telephons : here in Germany they are called isdn
(digital) and analog (oldfashioned). I have heard that abtoad it`s mostly
analog. The modems can cope with all, but what I don`t know is can the
software coming with BL 1.8 do it or have I to implement something ?

Otto