baslinux - Re: [BL] BL 1.8 and pcmcia-netcard

  • From: "James Miller (office)" <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL 1.8 and pcmcia-netcard
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:38:48 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, James Miller (office) wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Otto Werner wrote:
>
> > Two questions from someone,who has only limited knowledge of SuSE-Linux.I
> > hope
> > somebody can give me some advice how to get things going :
> > 1.I have build a little ethernet-lan of three linux-boxes, one of them is
> > 486sx with 48MB Ram,serving as router with DSL. I want to connect my BT
> > 1.8
> > box, a laptop 486sx with 8MB Ram through the router to the outside. I
> > have a
> > a pcmcia-networkcard - but
> > ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.5 broadcast 192.168.1.255 \netmask 255.255.255.0
> >
> > SICOSIFADDR : no such device
> > eth0 = no such interface
> >
> > SICOSIFNETWORK = no such device
> >
> In doing some experimentation recently with BL1.8, I discovered that it
> needs to be told the address (base address maybe? I'm not too clear on
> terminology) the network it is on is using. In your case, I think the
> address argument needs to be 192.168.1.0, since you are using what I think
> they call a class C addressing scheme. The way this is done is to type,
> from the command line, "route add -net 192.168.1.0" (without quotation

Oops. Reading over this message again I think you have a more fundamental
problem than the machine knowing the address of the LAN it's on. I
noticed now the "eth0 = no such interface" line. The LAN's address isn't
going to help a machine that doesn't recognize that it has a NIC. So, the
question of what you are doing to get the computer to recognize the NIC
arises. If I recall correctly, you posted here some time ago about PCMCIA
cards under BL: is that right? And again if I recall correctly, it was
said that there is a package that needs to be installed to get PCMCIA
cards to function under BL. I think that package contains some
sort of PCMCIA module(s). Modules usually need to be installed before
they will do anything for you by doing "insmod name-of-module" and/or
adding that line to /etc/rc.d/rc.S. In the case of a PCMCIA NIC, I
suppose there might even be 2 modules: one to give PCMCIA functionality
and another for the specific NIC you are using - but that's a guess. I
have no experience whatever in getting PCMCIA cards/devices working under
BL. So, you need to start by addressing if/how you got PCMCIA
functionality implemented in BL. Then, we might need to know which
module your NIC takes, and if/how you are going about loading it.

James