baslinux - Re: [BL] BL 1.8 and pcmcia-netcard

  • From: "James Miller (office)" <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL 1.8 and pcmcia-netcard
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:35:34 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Otto Werner wrote:

> Two questions from someone,who has only limited knowledge of SuSE-Linux.I
> hope
> somebody can give me some advice how to get things going :
> 1.I have build a little ethernet-lan of three linux-boxes, one of them is a
> 486sx with 48MB Ram,serving as router with DSL. I want to connect my BT 1.8
> box, a laptop 486sx with 8MB Ram through the router to the outside. I have a
> a pcmcia-networkcard - but
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.5 broadcast 192.168.1.255 \netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> SICOSIFADDR : no such device
> eth0 = no such interface
>
> SICOSIFNETWORK = no such device

In doing some experimentation recently with BL1.8, I discovered that it
needs to be told the address (base address maybe? I'm not too clear on
terminology) the network it is on is using. In your case, I think the
address argument needs to be 192.168.1.0, since you are using what I think
they call a class C addressing scheme. The way this is done is to type,
from the command line, "route add -net 192.168.1.0" (without quotation
marks, of course). I think this should solve the problem you are
confronting. To make this permanent (so you don't have to issue that
command every time you restart your computer), you can add the line to
your /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 file - it's something like "/sbin/route add -net
192.168.1.0" - just follow the syntax of the other lines in that file.
I'm not at my BL machine at the moment, so can't check to see if I'm
remembering correctly.

> 2. If I try to connect directly via modem . here I am total on a loss:
> which connection is BT 1.8 able to use : isdn or analog ? How can one of
> them
> be used, how can I make it working ?

I don't understand this question. Are you talking about the DSL modem on
your gateway? I'm not sure I could help, even if that is what you're
talking about. I've never had any problem with any version of BL using a
regular, 56k or < modem - so long as it was not a Winmodem. If you're
talking about a DSL modem on your gateway, let me ask if you've looked
into Freesco? This is a gateway/router mini-distribution based on old
Slackware that has alot of this stuff preconfigured (does pppoe, for
example). I'm planning on doing something similar to what you're doing
(DSL connection routed to a small network via an older
computer-made-router/gateway) and I'm going to try Freesco. It also does
firewalling and NAT'ing which, without more networking knowledge than I
have, would be difficult to implement on a BL1/2 system.

James