baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 and Lynx 2.8.4-ssl and Opera 6 - no crashes (yet)

  • From: Neo Sze Wee <neoszewee AT gmx.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 and Lynx 2.8.4-ssl and Opera 6 - no crashes (yet)
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 15:06:28 +0000

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 08:13:52AM -0500, James Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, sindi keesan wrote:
> > In my dos version I set lynx to display pdf files with pdftotext and I
> > will look for that in Slackware 7.1. Faster than ghostscript.
> >
> This sounded interesting, so I did a little googling on the subject. So
> far as I can tell, pdftotext is not available as an independent package.
> Rather, it is part of the much larger (5MB?) xpdf package. If you manage
> to find a utility that does this other than the one in the xpdf package,
> please let us know.

If anyone can find a pdf to text thta does not rely on Ghostscript for
its conversion , let us
know. But all is not lost:

* PDF CONVERSIONS BY EMAIL
You can convert PDF documents to text or HTML via e-mail. For internet
files put the URL in the body of an e-mail message to
pdf2txt AT adobe.com (for plain text) or to pdf2html AT adobe.com (for HTML).
If the file is on your PC then include as a MIME attachment and send
to the same addresses depending uopn whter you want text or HTML.

I have not tried it yet but let us know the output.