b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] text on the BH verb structure

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] text on the BH verb structure
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 12:23:33 -0200

karl,

>>> You want a model that fits all languages at all times. Unfortunately, TAM is
not that model. It doesn’t fit Biblical Hebrew. How many other languages does it not fit?

TAM is not a model. it is the cognitive basis of verb forms. it contains MANY
competing models. if you want to reject TAM:

first you will have to learn all about it.
then you will have to suggest a better theory, suited for BH.
then you will discover that you have just invented another variant of TAM.

>>> However, that doesn’t mean that we can’t come to an understanding of Biblical Hebrew grammar—we just need to codify it, then see how to fit it in in the total picture.

easier said than done. but this is basically what i did: it took me three years.
but i needed to understand TAM before rejecting part of it - the part that does
not fit the text. and replaced it by other things. but this is also
a variant of the TAM model.

>> But by preemptively applying TAM to it, do we not risk being inaccurate in our initial codification?

of course, BH has been studied from the point of view of discourse analysis, which ignores
much of classical linguistics. but in verb form studies, most pragmatists mix the two, since discourse analysis does not see grammar as a goal.

nir cohen

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 11:01:05 +0800, K Randolph wrote