b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] text on the BH verb structure

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] text on the BH verb structure
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 22:52:24 -0400

1. HAL-O-K contains the personal pronoun הוא HU, contracted to a mere O, Identifying the prophet as the performer of the act HALAK.
2. WQARA-TA contains the personal pronoun אתה ATAH identifying the the prophet as the performer of the act QARA.
3. ZAKAR-TIY contains the personal pronoun אתי ATIY (for ANIY) identifying God as the performer of the act ZAKAR.
4. You are right in saying that the identifications are context driven.
5. The "why" is, in my humble opinion, pointless.

Isaac Fried, Boston University