b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring' (K Randolph)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring' (K Randolph)
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 22:26:20 -0600

Karl: "I’d still like to know what you’d call it when non-native speakers of a language mispronounce and misuse that learned, second language? When it is a whole society, so that their misuse changes that learned, second language to approximate their native tongue, how is that not corruption of that learned, second language? If not corruption, what do you call it?"

Jerry: "The question begs the question in that I do not admit that this is what happened.  I don’t believe the Masoretes misused the biblical text.  And their pronunciations, while there could have been some minor differences, were not substantial differences.  I would not call what the Masoretes' work on the biblical text a corruption.

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary