b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring' (K Randolph)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring' (K Randolph)
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 22:43:23 -0600

Karl: "OK, you define what you understand when you hear the phrase "one unique meaning".  I want to know, did I use terminology that confuses rather than elucidates? Why is it that my definition of the terms, which I repeated several times, seem not to resonate in you?"

Jerry: I understand it to mean what you said it to mean:

Karl (5/4/2013): "When one looks at the actions referred to by a lexeme, other than homonyms where two or more words from different roots have converged in form, words generally have one meaning at any one point in time."

Jerry: My reaction to that is the same one that Ruth had:

Ruth (5/4/2013): "I've seen it claimed here repeatedly that a single lexeme necessarily has a

single meaning in all the contexts it is used in.  I think that is nonsense."

Jerry: Karl, if you think you've been misunderstood, then I think the burden is on you to do a better job of explaining yourself.

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary