b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring' (K Randolph)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring' (K Randolph)
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 11:09:16 -0600

Jerry: "Indeed, this is one of the reasons why I think it is illegitimate to straitjacket the meaning of the biblical text into a preconceived "single unique meaning" lexeme theory that at the same both ignores sound linguistic theory and subjects the biblical text to one's own whims."

Karl: "This sounds like a complete misreading and misstating of what I do and say. Whatever you mean by “single unique meaning”, it doesn’t sound at all what I say. In other words, you play Humpty Dumpty with my words, and make them say something other than what I intended. Evidence: you latch onto that phrase in isolation without considering the whole of what I have said on the subject."

Karl (5/3/2013): "So when one looks at a snapshot of a language, i.e. the use of a language at one point in time, there are very few exceptions, even in modern languages, that each lexeme has one unique meaning."

Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary
Edmonton, Alberta