b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring'

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Chris Watts <dekruidnootjes AT eircom.net>
  • To: Jonathan Mohler <jonathan.mohler AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring'
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 12:19:51 +0100

I suppose then a classic example of what you are saying is found in the verb רום where the qal is usually: lift up, lift oneself up, become high, exalt, but the hiphil is: lift up, elevate, exalt, increase ones own power. The nuance is there I suppose but I certainly see little difference between the two except that the hiphil might appear More assertive? more referring to raising yourself louder, noisier, higher? (but then I would have expected the latter to be in a piel? Please forgive my obvious lack of insight, but knowing the grammatical descriptions/theories and categories and then understanding the practical realities of translation are two different skills, the latter I am just beginning to learn.

Chris Watts
Ireland

Finally, if I am off the mark as to the link between the two roots, the point is still valid: Shalach is causative semantically and proves the point I was making that Chris has no reason to balk at a hiphil used imperatively.

Jonathan Mohler
Baptist Bible Graduate School
Springfield, Mo