b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring'

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Jonathan Mohler <jonathan.mohler AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring'
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 17:52:27 -0400

It appears to me that hif'il is a verbal form composed of a root and two identity markers, or personal pronouns, one for the actor and one for the beneficiary of the act. Thus, השכיב HI-$K-I-B consists of $KB plus an initial היא HIY, 'he', and an internal היא HIY, 'he', contracted to a mere -I-, so as not to add a distracting consonant.

I know nothing of Swahili, but I think that the "suffix" -sha or -za, is, or used to be, an independent and meaningful word added to enhance the context of the combination.

Isaac Fried, Boston University