b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring'

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Chris Watts <dekruidnootjes AT eircom.net>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring'
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 15:21:55 +0100

"""""There is a pattern of usage for the conjugations, but that pattern doesn’t
fit tense, aspect nor mood.""""""

I have read quite some stuff on imperfect and perfect and seen how the changes in classification of the verbal system has taken place. Perhaps a simple concise illumination about how you see things would be interesting for me, since I agree certainly that one has to abandon one's own cultural and sanitised compartimentalisation of the tenses and try to grab the hebraic perspectief, not easy, but the step in that direction seems a good one.

I had to so often do this when I was living and learning in Holland their language, my frustrations with the Dutch, in retrospect, were invariably as a result of trying to translate as I read or listened. As I became 'one' with the language it all made sense. And I believe that the hebrew language for a great part only makes sense if it is kept within its unique context, far removed from our mortgage based society where the street lights are our stars and the shops are our harvests.

So please tell me how you see the aspekt/mood/tense/persepective in the verbal organisation.

Karl W. Randolph.
Chris Watts
Ireland