b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] wayyiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] wayyiqtol
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 20:56:31 -0600

Hi All,

Let me say thank you for all your contributions on wayyiqtol, and also for the spirit in which they were made.  Three observations:

(1) Old Testament scholars have to make choices as to where they will expend their efforts.  So, since my seminary days, reading McFall's Enigma of the Hebrew Verbal System, taking advanced Hebrew grammar with Waltke, and working through his and O'Connor's views in their IBHS, my research interests have resided more with hermeneutics and biblical theology than with grammar.  So I was quite a bit behind the latest research.  So, again, thanks for all the contributions.

(2) I was fascinated with the diversity of viewpoints.  It seems to me that it's pretty safe to say that there is no consensus.  Certain views may be more popular or dominant than others; but no one view seems to be really holding the day.  As well, the views are variously nuanced.

(3) I always like it when views long considered buried seem to experience a resurrection, though perhaps in a different form.  Perhaps that explains why, of all the views expressed, the one I find the most intriguing is the one advanced by Joosten and shared by Ken Penner.  So I think I will try to obtain Joosten's monograph and work through it.

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary