b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] wayyiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] wayyiqtol
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 13:21:58 -0400

As I see it, it is not WAY + YIQTOL, but WA+YI+QTL. I am really baffled. I look intently at what you are saying, but fail to see there any difficulty. what you call "code for future" appears to me to be but the convention of PP+act, as opposed to act+PP for the "code of the past". In WA-YI-GA$ the -YI- reverts to be just a personal pronoun (PP) for the performer of the act GA$.

Isaac Fried, Boston University