b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] wayyiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] wayyiqtol
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 18:50:38 +0200

Dear Jerry,

Here is a summary of my conclusions:

1) My basic premise is a clear distinction between semantic meaning
(uncancellable meaning) and conversational pragmatic implicature, that is, a
distinction between the meaning of a verb form that do not change, and the
meaning that is derived from the context. The distinction between semantics
and pragmatics is elementary in other linguistic studies, but not in studies
of the Semitic languages.

2) Tense can be defined as "grammaticalization of location in time," which
means that tense is an intrinsic property of verb forms that do not change
because of the context.

3) Narrative verbs have by definition past reference, but the verb form used
in narrative contexts need not represent grammaticalized location in the
past. One example is Phoenician, where the infinitive absolute is used as the
narrative verb, but no one would say that the infinitive absolute has an
intrinsic past tense. Another example is Ugaritic, where the same verbs
expressed with the same grammatical form are used with past reference in one
account and future reference in another account.

4) The narrative verb used in Hebrew is the so-called WAYYIQTOL. According to
my analysis of the 14,536 WAYYIQTOLs in the Tanakh, 93.1% have past reference
and 6.9% have non-past reference. Because of the high percentage of past
references, most scholars conclude that the WAYYIQTOL either IS past tense or
IS the perfective aspect. These conclusions are problematic because:

a) the WAYIQTOLs with non-past references occur in normal contexts, and a
tense should have a uniform temporal reference.

b) there are no traces in the Tanakh of a grammaticalization process that
would lead a prefix form with the prefixed conjunction WAW to become the very
opposite of the prefix form without WAW.

c) No one has been able to explain how the element WAY- (WAW) changed the
meaning of the form with WAY- to the very opposite of the form without WAY.

d) Such a change of meaning to the very opposite because of a prefixed
conjunction is unprecedented in the languages of the world.

5) Because of 4 a), b), c) and d), there are no reasons to view the WAYYIQTOL
as different from the YIQTOL form as far as meaning is concerned. So, just as
infinitive absolute is the narrative form in Phoenician, and the prefix form
(YAQTUL(U) is the narrative form in Ugaritic, the prefixform YIQTOL is the
narrative form in Classical Hebrew.

6) But how can the function and use of the WAY + YIQTOL be explained? The
simple explanation is that narrative texts express sequences of actions in
the past, one action following the other, and the element that is driving the
consecution is the conjunction WAW. The Hebrew writers, more than writers in
any language that I know of, had a preference for this conjunction—"and this
happened, and then this happened, and then this happened...." The gemination
and stress pattern of the WAYYIQTOL form is based on the Phonetic rules of
the Masoretes and are nothing special. So the form can morphologically
speaking be reduced to a YIQTOL with the prefixed conjunction WAW.

7) The real obstacle to accepting that the WAYYIQTOL as a YIQTOL, is that
YIQTOL is believed to code for future and present or for the imperfective
aspect, and how can such functions corroborate past reference?

a) Before we exclude imperfective verbs in Hebrew narrative, remember the
narrative verbs Phoenician and Ugaritic.

b) The real problem is that most aspectual definitions are simply taken out
of the blue; they are philosophical and vague, and they do not seem to fit a
system where imperfective forms can be narrative forms. If we instead of
choosing one of the many aspectual definitions, analyze the Hebrew verbs in
the light of the the basic linguistic properties, reference time, event time,
and deictic center, we may see that imperfective verbs have properties that
fit narratives.

8) The conclusion of all the previous points is that the reason why WAYYIQTOL
so often occurs in past context is pragmatic and not semantic.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern
Norway.