b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] wayyiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] wayyiqtol
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 12:31:18 -0400

In my opinion, as expressed here on several occasions, A word such as ויגש WAYIGA$
consists of the amalgamation of the three distinct parts: the act WA-, which I think, is a
variant of בא BA, 'be, come, happen', the personal pronoun -YI-, which I think is a
contracted היא 'he', standing for the performer of the, here, act גש -GA$, 'approach'.
So, WAYIGA$  reads: "and then it came to pass, BA, that he, YHUDAH (in Gn. 44:18), approached ..."

Isaac Fried, Boston University