b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] to'evah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Nir cohen - Prof. Mat. <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] to'evah
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 18:53:22 -0400

1. Correct. The letters ו ב פ are "interchangeable". Consider the triplet
שבע שוע שפע

2. The act עוה AWAH 'distort, deviate', is a variant of עבה ABAH , 'thick, big'.
The letter I is thin, but the devious letters O and U are thick. The acts כפף 'bend'
and גבב GBB (in the HB only GAB), 'pileup', are one and the same.

3. The description of feelings or states of consciousness is difficult, but I don't
think that תועבה "comes from" a show of twisted face. The word כיסופים KIYSUPIYM,
'longings' as in Ge. 31:30 has nothing to do with כסף 'money'.

4. The root B of תועבה TOEBAH means 'be, come', referring to a sensation. I mentioned
this before. The act בא BA is commonly used in spoken Hebrew to denote desire: BA LIY
LIROT SERET בא לי לראות סרט 'I would rather see a movie'.

5. The words אב 'father', and עב 'cloud', come both from the root B, 'big, large'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University