b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] role of euphemism and racial stereotying in biblical hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Norman Cohn <normanncohn AT yahoo.com.br>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] role of euphemism and racial stereotying in biblical hebrew
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 18:44:05 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Karl!

Thanks for the very interesting reply. I agree with most of what you wrote, including the argument about Ezekiel 44:7 not being really an euphemism (Steven Mckenzie and John Kaltner seem to be reading to much into this).

In my humble opinion, I guess an _expression_ taken from the Tanakh should only be considered an euphemism in light of the biclical writer's culture, not ours. That is: an _expression_ should be considered an euphemism if and only if it's likely that the authors were trying to avoid offending the sensitivies prevailing in their social millieu.

That brings into the fore another very difficult discussion: who exactly was the target audience of the Tanakh? Tricky question!

Yes, I think you're totally right - the differences in sensitivies should not lead us to automatically judge the biblical writers unfavourably. In fact, one could argue whether it's not for our detriment that our sensitivies as modern urban people have become so blunt in some regards. I frequently ask myself, for instance, if we haven't grown much more accostumed to social injustice than the ancient Israelites ever were.

Now I remember another important euphemism: yada' ("to know") as a way of referring to sexual intercourse!

Thanks again for the reply and best regards!

Norman Cohn
São Paulo - Brazil.