b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] role of euphemism and racial stereotying in biblical hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kevin <klriley100 AT tpg.com.au>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] role of euphemism and racial stereotying in biblical hebrew
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 13:11:03 +1100

If you read widely in ancient literature - even in English translations - I think you will find that ancient authors had no worries about 'racial profiling', or even using stereotypes that even then were probably known to be inaccurate.  Objectivity and avoidance of offence are modern concerns, and are practically absent from most of history.  Even religious literature is filled with such things.  Developments in our own history have made us squeamish about such things, but we should not project that squeamishness back onto ancient - or medieval or even early modern - writers.  There are still places in the world where telling blatant untruths about 'the other' is considered good rhetorical technique.

I believe the context - literary and cultural - of Ezekiel 16 makes the euphemistic and 'racial profiling' reading the most likely.  Israel is, after all, being likened rather graphically to a prostitute.  Sexual references and innuendo are hardly foreign to such a context.

Kevin Riley