b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] role of euphemism and racial stereotying in biblical hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Norman Cohn <normanncohn AT yahoo.com.br>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] role of euphemism and racial stereotying in biblical hebrew
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 17:37:53 -0800 (PST)

 Hi, Andronic!

Thanks for the reply.
That’s a very interesting reading! I admit I get a bit uncomfortable with Ezekiel 16:26. If I read “big of flesh” as an euphemism for the male intimate parts, just like the NIV and other translations do, I can hardly avoid the feeling that there’s some racial profiling going on.
However, your interesting reading has the advantage of accounting for the euphemism while also avoiding the possible racial profiling the passage would suggest if taken to be referring to the Egyptians themselves instead of their gods.
So thanks for showing me a new way of reading this passage!
Best regards.
Norman Cohn
SP - Brazil