b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex. 3:14 Ehyeh has sent me to you

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Norman Cohn <normanncohn AT yahoo.com.br>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex. 3:14 Ehyeh has sent me to you
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 12:24:38 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Isaac!

Is there a general phonetic rule behind these transformations? Is there evidence of a tendency in Ancient Hebrew for the personal pronoun ANIY to be shortened to E in nouns like this? Could the derivation of HIY from HYH be explained according to a broader rule?

Sorry if the questions sound stupid!

Best regards,

Norman Cohn
São Paulo - Brasil