b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Vowel Shortening Question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: E <ej2500 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Vowel Shortening Question
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 21:49:22 -0500

It is not you that is confused, it is the book that is confused. In my humble opinion there is no such thing in Hebrew as "short" and "long" vowels. it is all but the figment of imagination and inventive power of some obsolete "grammarians". The punctuators, the נקדנים of the Hebrew bible did not leave us a user's manual, and we are not even sure if the different signs, say patach and qamets, represent different vowels sounds.

It is indeed marked in the table I am using:

ד"ר שאול ברקלי
לוח השמות השלם
הוצאת ראובן מס ירושלים תשל"ג

that DAG-KA is with a qamets under the the D, but that DAG-KEM is with a patach under the D. This is the paradigm, and this is how we punctuate the words if we want to do it "correctly". The "explanation" as to why it is so we leave to חכמי חלם the wise men of Xelem.

I will add here that the personal pronoun אתה ATAH, or AT, appears also in attachments as AKAH, or AK. ATEM appears to me to be the combination AT-HEM, and AKEM the combination AK-HEM.

The table of names I mentioned above (there is also a companion table on verbs) are indispensable books of Hebrew grammar. Unfortunately they are out of print, but can often be found used.

Isaac Fried, Boston University