b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Old Syriac needs.....

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Spinti <jspinti AT eisenbrauns.com>
  • To: Peter Streitenberger <ps2866 AT bingo-ev.de>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Old Syriac needs.....
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 11:03:42 -0500

The standard reference grammar for Syriac is Nöldeke, Compendious Syriac
Grammar. There are public domain versions of it available, as it was done in
the early 20th century--originally in German as Kurzgefasste Syrische
Grammatik, if German is more comfortable for you.

The best lexicon was just published a few years ago: Sokoloff's A Syriac
Lexicon. Otherwise, there is Payne-Smith's Compendious Syriac Dictionary and
her father's monstrous (Latin) Thesaurus Syriacus. I believe both of those
are on the web.

Disclaimer: most of the above are published by my employer, Eisenbrauns.

HTH,
James
James Spinti
E-mail marketing, Book Sales Division