b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XA$MAL - electricity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XA$MAL - electricity
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 05:58:48 +0000

There is a connection between Adonis and Semitic Adon, but as for your other etymologies, I highly doubt them. Zeus is actually an early form of Greek theos, and a parallel with Latin deus. As far as I know, these are Indo-European words, not Semitic words. The other forms you give are questionable, but I'm willing to be persuaded by evidence, not just assertion.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia