b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XA$MAL - electricity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XA$MAL - electricity
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 20:39:33 -0400

You may well be right, yet I would not discount the possibility that 'electron' is of
Phoenician origin, as I don't discount the possibility that the Greek Cadamus is
'the man of קדם QEDEM, the east', making 'academia' the place of study of the
arts, such as writing, of the east.

The Greeks imported their cult of the many goods from the east, and the names
of their deities may still harbor a discernible hint as to their distant origin.
Isn't Apollo but the eastern בעל BAAL, or אב-הוא-אל-הוא AB-HU-EL-HU?
Isn't Athena but our דינה DIYNAH, or אדינה ADINAH, 'the mistress'? Isn't
Pallas just בעלת BAALAT? And isn't Zeus but עז-הוא-עז AZ-HU-AZ, corresponding
to the biblical עזאזל AZAZ-EL of Lev. 16:8; or possibly עז-הוא-איש AZ-HU-I$ similar
to our אל שדי EL $ADAY = I$-AD-HI-HI of Gen. 17:1?

Isaac Fried, Boston University