b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 9:21­27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Samuel Nunez <samuelnunez1973 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 9:21­27
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 10:27:52 -0700

George,

Thank you for the reference to your article. I will take the time to read it carefully.

Regarding your keen observation that I equate the Messiah prince (Dan 9:25) with Davidic royal expectation in the phrase mashiah nagid, I also see this to be the case in am nagid (9:26) and negid berit (11:22);  based on what seems to be an overall expectation of a royal/priestly figure ruling the people in Jerusalem (see also Jer. 33:15-18).

It seems to me that the period of waiting 69 weeks or 483 years is fairly long for it to be just any anointed one. If my understanding is correct, Daniel 9:24-27 focuses on two things: 1) the city (building and destruction) and a unique leader/prince (anointed, has a people and makes a covenant with many). The starting verse 24 also indicates a number of events that surround this anointed one through a string of infinitives: to make an end of rebellion, to seal up sin, to make atonement for iniquity,  to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy and to anoint the most holy place.

These are a few reasons why I understand the term nagid in a royal/priestly sense with in this context.

Cheers!

Samuel