b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XA$MAL - electricity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XA$MAL - electricity
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 01:01:12 -0700

Back when I was in college, I read a book called “Hellenosemitica” which posited the theory that much of the Greek civilization was derived from Semitic roots. In particular, the “mystery religions” were shown to have Semitic roots, though not necessarily Semitic names. An example, the worship of Dionysus was taken from the Semitic worship of Tammuz, even to some of the words used in that worship. There were many other examples given as well.

The author didn’t need to resort to highly speculative etymologies to make his point.

Karl W. Randolph.