b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XA$MAL - electricity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XA$MAL - electricity
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 11:51:23 +0000

Isaac,

That sounds like midrashic etymology to me. Similar to Philip of Macedon who, upon hearing that his wife was pregnant, ordering his chefs to make her favourite meal by commanding, "All eggs under the grate!" He thereby determined fate that his son would be known as "Alexander the Great".

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia