b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 9:21­27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Samuel Nunez <samuelnunez1973 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 9:21­27
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 00:49:14 -0700

Dear Samuel:

I have heard the theory that you propose below, but there are problems with it. As this discussion group is about the language of Biblical Hebrew, not about theology, I can’t comment on some of it.

From strictly linguistic standpoint there is nothing that says that the three shorter periods are consecutive with one following immediately after a previous one. The final period is listed as closing the 70 sevens of years, so there’s no question there. The first 7 sevens of years starts the total, so again no question, except who is the anointed leader who comes at the end of that period? But the middle period, the 62 sevens of years, starts when? What indication is there that the 70 sevens unit is anything other than one unified time period? Everything I see in Daniel indicates that it was one unified period.

Looking at chapters eight and twelve of Nehemiah, Nehemiah is shown as a contemporary of Ezra. History indicates that Ezra lived and worked around 400 BC. The command to rebuild Jerusalem was given to Nehemiah, which means that the command to rebuild Jerusalem couldn’t come more than about two decades before 400 BC. That means that the 70 sevens of years period ended about 70 AD, give or take a few years.

Looking at ancient history, many of the dates that are presented as so fixed by professional historians are really but educated guesses that could be off by a decade or two, or in the case of Egyptian history off by centuries.

The focus of Daniel 9:24-27 seems to be, as far as I understand,  the events happening after the 62 week period or in my view events occurring at least 69 weeks or 483 years after the edict to build the walls of Jerusalem (Ez 7:11).

The problem for me is that the arithmetic doesn’t add up.

As previously mentioned, one of these events is the appearing of The Messiah Prince (v. 25).

Who is this Anointed Leader משיח נגיד? This prophecy has been fulfilled, you should be able to name him from history. So who was he?

Another is the death of the Messiah (v. 26). Still another is the destruction of the temple and city (v. 26). Then it describes him (Messiah) confirming a covenant with many,

Say what? The last person mentioned before this verse is the Coming Leader נגיד הבא, so why should we not consider him to be the one who causes to enforce a covenant with many?

  a ceasing (shabat) of sacrifice and offering in the middle of the last or 70th week; the last part of the verse gives the reason or cause of the destruction of the desolate city (Jerusalem) as being idolatry or false worship (shiqqutz).

It is my understanding that this 70 week time period or 7 week and 62 week and one week period of Daniel 9: 24-27 are consecutive.

So you claim that the seven years of war and destruction, in which the sacrifices ceased half way through, started immediately after the death of Messiah? Remember, this is a fulfilled prophecy.

Samuel Nunez

From the text, I see three clocks starting at the command to rebuild Jerusalem. This was separate from rebuilding the temple under Cyrus. We see that Nehemiah was commanded to rebuild Jerusalem which was, except for the second temple and a few houses to support the priests, still a ruin. One clock was 7 sevens of years until the Anointed Leader. The second clock was for 62 sevens of years until Messiah was cut off. The third clock that started at that time was for 70 sevens of years, that ended with a seven year period of war and destruction, half-way through the sacrifices ceased. Seeing that Nehemiah was a contemporary of Ezra the Scribe, that makes the giving of the command to rebuild Jerusalem shortly before 400 BC. 490 years later, the seven year war, half-way through of which the temple sacrifices were stopped, destroyed by the people of the leader to come (the general who led the Romans became emperor), fulfilled the closing of the prophecy. It all fits together, just as Biblical prophecy should.