b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] TMR T)MR

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • To: if AT math.bu.edu
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] TMR T)MR
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 09:50:07 -0400 (EDT)

Isaac Fried:

1. You wrote: “Her [Tamar’s] key role was, indeed, faithfulness,
audacity, and nobility, not talkatively.”

What if Tamar had been faithful, audacious and noble, but when Judah
approached her she had not “said”, three times, that she needed a pledge from
him, and when Judah had imperiously ordered her to be burned alive, she had
not
“said” that she had Judah’s pledge? There would be no twin sons of Tamar!
No Perez, no King David, no Bible as we know it. [Note that Judah is
portrayed as siring a son/grandson as his proper heir, which historically was
hot button issue in Year 13, with the second half of Genesis 14: 4 seeming
to explicitly reference “Year 13”.] In order for all of Tamar’s many
admirable qualities to work, while Tamar avoids getting burned alive, the key
is
that, three times in succession, TMR T-)MR/Tamar said that she needed a
pledge, and then later TMR T-)MR/Tamar said that she still had that pledge,
leading to Judah’s famous exclamation that “She is more righteous than I”.
TMR
= T-)MR.

2. You wrote: “I don't think that the Hebrew bible is playing word games.”

How can you say that after reading Genesis 29: 32? “And Leah conceived,
and bare a son, and she called his name Reuben [R)WBN]: for she said, Surely
the LORD hath looked [R)H] upon [B] my affliction [(NY]; now therefore my
husband will love me.” The name “Reuben” would seem to mean “Behold, a son”
, but “the Hebrew bible is playing word games”, and the official
Patriarchal explanation of the name “Reuben” is: “[the LORD] hath looked
upon my
affliction”. Similar word games apply to the naming of each and every one of
Jacob’s 12 sons.

3. In my view, an early Hebrew author both created/selected the name TMR,
and also composed chapter 38 of Genesis, which features TMR T-)MR in three
consecutive verses at Genesis 38: 16-18. In support of my linguistic view
that TMR is intended to embody T-)MR, I have noted two similar linguistic
examples by the same early Hebrew author: (i) TRX = T-)RX; (ii) MMR) =
M-)MR).
[If Mamre the Amorite is historical, then historically his final two years
at the Patriarchs’ Hebron, when he was in alliance with tent-dwellers per
Genesis 14: 13, were Years 12-13.] In all three cases, the early Hebrew
author is creating/selecting a name that fits his storyline perfectly.
Historically, all of these names and stories fit Years 12-14 perfectly.
Linguistically, which is the focus of this thread, TMR = T-)MR. That meaning
fits the
storyline perfectly. In the Patriarchal narratives, “the Hebrew bible is
playing word games”, and does so brilliantly. It’s all deliberate and
intentional.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois