b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Circle חוג

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org list" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Circle חוג
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 04:36:51 +0000

Hi Jesse! Nice to be reading you here.

Middle ages 'flat earth' cosmology goes back to antiquity and was supported
by biblical texts. As far as I can tell, the only reason that חוג is
interpreted as 'sphere' is by reading a Copernican-influenced heliocentric
solar system back into the biblical texts. I'm happy to be persuaded
otherwise, though.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia