b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] TMR T)MR

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: jimstinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org list" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] TMR T)MR
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 20:36:21 -0400

1. In Judges 4:14 it is ותאמר דבורה WA-TO-MER DBORAH, not WA- T-DABER DBORAH.

2. We have already mentioned the possibility that the T in TAMAR is not radical, and we looked at the example of the pairs A$ERAH - TA $UR, EREZ - TIRZAH, OREN - TOREN. Thus, it is possible that the essence of her name is MAR or AMAR, but even then, the AMAR is 'lofty, noble' (see Deut. 26:17-18), and has nothing to do with 'saying'. Her key role was, indeed, faithfulness, audacity, and nobility, not talkatively.

I don't think that the Hebrew bible is playing word games.

Isaac Fried, Boston University