b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] TMR T)MR

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: jimstinehart AT aol.com
  • To: Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] TMR T)MR
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 10:56:34 -0400 (EDT)

DearProf. Yigal Levin:

Youhad written to me: “I've already agreedthat the multiple repetition of
"watomer Tamar" may have been done onpurpose, for dramatic effect.
…Butwhat's your point?”

Iresponded by [after setting forth what I see as being the historical
context]setting forth precisely what my Biblical Hebrew linguistic point is:

TRX = T-)RX. TMR = T-)MR. MMR) = M-)MR). Same.

I would be interested to know if you and others agreeor disagree with my
Biblical Hebrew linguistic point, which holds that theHebrew author created
these names to have these precise meanings. The beauty of my linguistics
analysis here isthat then all three names make perfect sense in terms of each
character’s keyrole in the storyline.

Nowyou say that I am allegedly “twistingwhat I wrote to make it seem to
indicate that you arecorrect in some way”. But far from twistingwhat you
wrote, what I would in fact like to know is whether you agree ordisagree with
my linguistics analysis above, and if you disagree, why. I myself don’t take
the view that any ofthese names is “just a name”. Doyou? I myself see all
three names ashaving been deliberately and brilliantly designed by the early
Hebrew author toembody the meanings of those names that I have set forth.
What is your view on that subject?

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois