b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] TMR, CMR, ZMR, AMAR

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: jimstinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] TMR, CMR, ZMR, AMAR
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 23:02:01 -0400

I think we mentioned it before, if the T in תמר TAMAR is radical, then
TAMAR is a CAMAR (related to צמר CEMER, 'wool'), a tree with a
distinct צמרת CAMERET, 'wooly crown, treetop', as in Ez. 31:3.
CAMERET is also related to the אמיר AMIYR, 'the unfolding branches', of Is.17:6,
and to the עמיר AMIYR, sheaves, of Amos 2:13.
AMAR in the sense of 'narrated', is 'produced a stream of expounding sound bits', as is $IYR, 'song'.
Thus, in WA-TO-MER of Gen. 38:16 the T is not radical.
Another relationship between growing branches and producing a stream of chopped sound is
provided us by זמר ZAMAR 'cut the branches', cut the ZMOROT, as in Is. 5:6,
and זמרה ZIMRAH, 'singing', as in Is. 51:3.

Isaac Fried, Boston University