b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 45:9 mini

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'Pere Porta'" <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 45:9 mini
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 16:36:45 -0500

From: Pere Porta [mailto:pporta7 AT gmail.com]

(Steve Miller)

Why is there a preposition mini as well as the preposition min? Does this
happen with other prepositions?

Preposition forms ending in -y are common in poetic books, basically Psalms,
Job and Proverbs.

And so,

--)LY in Job 5:26 compared with )L in Gn 31:3

--(LY in Ps 131:2 compared with )L in Gn 1:2

--)DY in Ps 104:23 compared with )D in Gn 11:31

[Steve Miller] Thanks very much Pere. I did not know that.

I do not know why the usual M is missing in our word in Ps 45:9

I know of no other forms of plural lacking the usual final M in the Hebrew
bible.

[Steve Miller] Thanks again very much. That is just what I wanted to know.
Based on that, I think the rendering “string instruments” is wrong. I think
“from me”, though strange, is possible.

Regards

Pere Porta