b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Blau - Phonology and Morphology of Biblical Hebrew; An Introduction

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Steinberg <david.l.steinberg AT rogers.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Blau - Phonology and Morphology of Biblical Hebrew; An Introduction
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 07:29:22 -0500

Karl
I was surprised by your comment

Re sin/shin see Blau /Phonology and Morphology of Biblical Hebrew;
An Introduction <http://www.eisenbrauns.com/item/BLAPHONOL>/ sect
3.2. Roots such as shin-het-qof vs. sin-het-qof make it very
likely that the phonological shin vs sin was still made in
pre-exilic Hebrew

That book is not available for my perusal.

This book is the only comprehensive diachronic study of Biblical Hebrew written since the /Bauer and Leander/ of the early 1920s. The author is one of the best Hebraists of the 20th century. Though this book is not without its weaknesses (see http://www.houseofdavid.ca/anc_heb_Blau_rev.htm ), the full range of material covered in it is absolutely fundamental knowledge for anyone who wishes to make knowledgeable comments on Biblical Hebrew historical linguistics. If I may say so, it is not a book to be "perused" but to be ingested and assimilated into one's fundamental knowledge and understanding. It is easily available to everyone either through purchase of through inter-library loan from your local library.

Regards

David Steinberg