b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hb 1:7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Stephen Shead <sshead.email AT gmail.com>
  • To: Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il, pporta7 AT gmail.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hb 1:7
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 14:59:36 -0300

Interestingly, most of the Spanish translations that I can easily consult
(in BibleWorks) translate in the singular, for the most part, all the way
through to verse 11. Some have plurals in v.9, because of KLH, but then
return to singular. The translations are:

- La Biblia de las Américas
- several versions of the Reina Valera
- La Biblia del Peregrino (Luis Alonso Schökel's translation)
- La Biblia de Nuestro Pueblo, which repeats "It is a people that" (Es un
pueblo que) in v.10 for clarity
- The translation of P. Serafín de Ausejo, revised by Marciano Villanueva
(I'm never sure how to refer to that one!)

So there you are. It might be because English tends very strongly towards
logical number, whereas Spanish tends more to maintain grammatical number.
The classic example is with the subject "people" ("gente" in Spanish): even
though it's grammatically a singular noun, in English we say "all the people
ARE going to the same place", not "is going", whereas Spanish maintains the
singular verb (toda la gente se dirige al mismo lugar).

Stephen Shead
Santiago, Chile