b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Order of Death: A Key to Understanding Genesis

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: pastormattfbcrankin <pastormattfbcrankin AT gmail.com>
  • To: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Order of Death: A Key to Understanding Genesis
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 12:40:34 -0500

Jim,

I don't see how you can expect anyone to take you seriously when you make so
many interpolations to the text.

Just to mention a few....

JS : The text states, in straightforward Biblical Hebrew prose, that Ishmael
predeceased all of his half-brothers.

MW: If the prose is so straightforward, why is it that no one has ever "seen"
this amazing fact before? If it's really so obvious, why has no one seen it?

JS : Though we don’t hear about Abraham’s sons by minor wives until a later
point in the text, nevertheless such sons would have been sired by Abraham at
a younger age.

MW: Does the text tell us that? This is an assumption with absolutely no
weight based upon the text.

JS : We can probably figure out that there were 4 such “sons of concubines”,
so that Abraham sired exactly 12 biological sons [all of whom lived to
adulthood].

MW : Really? We can "probably?" How? What evidence is there for this in the
text? There is nothing in the text that names 4 other sons, or the fact that
they all lived to adulthood.

JS : My only quibble with KJV is that “in the presence of”, or (L-PNY, though
it literally means “in the face of”, is an idiom whose actual meaning is:
“during the lifetimes of”.

MW : (L-PNY is most commonly translated as "upon the face" (of the earth), or
"in the presence of" (an individual). It can mean "during the lifetime of"
(cf. w. Gen 11:28), but even there "in the presence of" makes perfect sense.
Why is it that here it is a mistranslation? Who supports this view here?
What are the reasons in the text that it means that here?

JS : Based on the foregoing straightforward analysis of the Hebrew received
text, we on the b-hebrew list can see what no modern university scholar has
discerned: both the birth order and the death order of Ishmael and Joseph
are i-d-e-n-t-i-c-a-l.

MW : Jim, this is not a straightforward analysis. You have pointed to things
in the text that are not present. Instead, they are based upon assumptions
that fit into your theory. We must start at the text and then go from there.
What you appear to be doing is trying to make the text fit your theories.
Which is exactly why no one has seen what you are seeing. There is
n-o-t-h-i-n-g in the text to support your view.

I know it's been said before, but I'll say it again. Why don't you create a
website with your theories, or a blog where people can interact with you?
Once again, you can't simply read into the text what fits your theory and
call it straightforward.

Regards,

-Matt Williams